Restoration of the eroded asphalt surface traveled by so many over the last 160 years is not only an honor, it is an important part of maintaining a safe and enriching environment for the generations yet to come.
Fort Point was built between 1853 and 1861 by the U.S. Army Engineers, predating completion of the Golden Gate Bridge by 76 years. On October 16, 1970, Fort Point became a National Historic Site.
The work consisted of Resurfacing of two lane road way with attached parking areas totaling 8,940 Square yards. And installing brick with granite rumble strips along with new pavement striping, signage, and other pavement markings along Marine Drive.
The Seawall and seawall apron which supports the roadway, was completed in 1906, despite earthquake damage and lack of funds. Because it sits on top of this breakwater, the paved surface of the roadway is hammered with salt water during high tides, and is at ground zero for unrelenting wet conditions due to the trademark San Francisco fog. These conditions are conducive to significant erosion of asphalt, concrete, brick and natural stone; cyclical maintenance and restoration is key to preservation at this historical site.
Removal and replacement of the eroded road surface was completed successfully with no disturbance to surrounding historical features.